Okay, so this is a response post to Cupid or Cats. She has initiated a Weird-Off.
I’m not sure what all the rules are, or even for sure if there are rules, but I’m gonna be brazen and say that everyone can play.
So, what you do: Make a list of things that are weird/quirky about you.
This is just for fun, because us weird folks sometimes like to compare ‘weird’ like stamp collectors. 😉
I’m going to try to keep this to things I do and behaviours/traits I picked up, rather than things I am (like synesthete) because it’s more fun if I tell you the wacky things that in theory anyone could do/have as traits.
1) I hate normal socks. So this is partially because I have texture issues, making me prefer bare feet. But when I was younger (even as young as 2) I would refuse to wear matched socks. If they weren’t odd I wasn’t wearing them. As I got older I found a type of socks that was more comfortable to me: Toe socks. I wore only toe socks from the age of 10 to the age of 20. After which I discovered that the right texture of regular shaped socks could make them bearable.
So now I shop for socks by texture… but I still prefer them mismatched.
2) I *like* to read the terms of service. Yeah that’s right, you scrolled right past them again, because you don’t give a beaver’s nut, but I’m reading it. Oh yes, the radio called people who read them freaks just yesterday (because they had a program talking about them) and I smiled at the thought.
I very much enjoy this freakishness. They actually can sometimes be funny too. (either in the same way as auto-correct because of silly typos/grammar mistakes, or because the writer added some kind of easter-egg for those of us who actually read them. Hehehe)
3) Researching and answering questions is probably my favourite, and also most indulged in pass time. (Seriously, most of my time on the computer is spent reading about new things. – and maybe suddenly the fact that I read the TOS makes more sense eh? Heh)
I think lots of people enjoy googling something when they come across a question they can’t answer. “Ohhh, that’s so neat!” They say, and then they move on with their day.
I don’t wait for those questions to arise, (why should I?) because I’m not just interested in the answers when I need them, I want to have answers to questions I may never need just because it’s fun to research and learn. 🙂
4) I narrate my life, often with the word for sound effects throughout my life. So when I accidentally smack into something, I am likely to say “smash” in a dejected way, even if there are other people I don’t know around. For whatever reason this does not trigger my social anxiety, maybe because this is so second nature to me, and people judge me for this I dunno somehow it’s not that embarrassing. (I can’t explain that, clearly it’s not the tides. XD [Reference to Bill O’reilly’s “You can’t explain that!”] )
Other examples: When I poke someone I often say “poke” or “boop!” or if it’s their nose “whirp!” (Yes, because of Kevin Smith’s movie Dogma). I hug someone and say “Hugs!” or “Glom”
5) I head-bonk my husband as a form of affection, or rub my cheek against his, just like a cat. You know how they rub their head against you… well for some reason I picked this trait up. I don’t do it to most people, in fact the list has become limited at this point to just my husband. Fortunately he doesn’t mind. 🙂
I’ll do this in public too though. I sometimes get all weird about kissing him in public, but somehow head-bonking him doesn’t bother me. Go figure?
6) I sit down in the shower. That’s right, while most people are all complaining about how hard it is to reach their toes, I’m cross-legged not caring. It’s warmer that way too, and much more relaxing. It takes almost all the parts I do like about having a bath, with none of the bits I don’t.
Though this isn’t the reason I do it, there is the added good part that I don’t really have to worry about falling down in the shower. (at least not til I get up)
Alright, there’s just a small sampling of my eccentricities and oddities. Enjoy! 😀
Weird people, you are not alone. I’m gonna end this by meowing at you, feel free to meow back. ;P